Should You File Your Own Car Accident Insurance Claim?
After a car accident, every driver should know to stop and exchange information with the other driver. It is also important to call 911 if there are any injuries or property damage to report. You should then seek the medical treatment you need for any injuries, which can result in medical bills. But what happens next?
If you believe – or know – that another driver is at fault, should you simply file an insurance claim with their insurance company? Some people might suggest that you hire a lawyer, but is it possible to just handle the claim yourself?
There is no requirement in California that you hire a lawyer to file your car accident insurance claim. If your damages are minimal and liability is undisputed, you might easily handle the claims process on your own. However, there are some situations in which you certainly want to speak with an attorney. These include:
- You have extensive medical bills or lost income due to your injuries
- Your injuries might have lasting effects or need ongoing medical care after the claim process
- You cannot return to work due to your injuries
- Liability for the accident is disputed
Insurance companies know how to minimize claim settlements, and this is much easier when someone does not have legal representation. An attorney can:
- File a persuasive claim from the start
- Correctly calculate past and future damages
- Ensure that you do not accept a settlement offer that is too low
- Escalate the matter to civil court if the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement
Consult with a Car Accident Lawyer in Beverly Hills
If you’re dealing with an injury, the last thing you need is to worry about your insurance claim. Let a Beverly Hills car accident attorney from Jalilvand Law take care of this for you. Call 310.478.5800 or contact us online for a free case evaluation today.