Fatal Injuries to Motorcyclists
Motorcyclists are among the most vulnerable motorists on the road. In general, people don’t see motorcycles as clearly as they see other vehicles, exposing them to the risk of fatal injuries and accidents.
What Stats Tell Us About Motorcyclist Injuries
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) statistics reveal that 5,014 motorcyclists were killed in accidents in 2019 alone. Also, some 5,038 motorcyclists perished in 2018.
The NHTSA also says that motorcyclists are 29 times more likely than vehicle passengers to be killed in accidents. About three-quarters of all motorbike accidents involve collisions with moving vehicles, making them more susceptible to fatal injuries.
Common Motorcyclist Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accidents can cause a variety of serious injuries, including:
- Spinal cord injuries– Motorbike accident victims can sustain permanent or fatal spinal injuries, with some causing paralysis or permanent disability.
- Fractures – Motorcyclists often break bones when they are involved in accidents, particularly when they are thrown from their bikes.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) Motorcyclists can also suffer traumatic brain injuries during crashes.In serious cases, these injuries can leave victims with long-term disabilities.
- Internal injuries – Motorcyclists can suffer internal injuries following a crash. They might also sustain internal organ damage and bleeding.
How to Prevent Fatal Motorcyclists Injuries
Here are ways to prevent and minimize fatal motorcycle crash injuries.
- Wear helmets – The NHTSA estimates that wearing helmets saved 1,872 motorcyclists from untimely deaths in 2017. These protective gears are 37% effective in fatal injury prevention among motorbike riders and 41% among passengers.
- Don’t drink and ride – About 50% of all fatal motorbike accidents involve alcohol. Please, don’t drink and ride.
- Drive safely – Rider error causes two-thirds of motorcycle accidents. Drive carefully to avoid fatal injuries.
- Don’t speed – Avoid speeding and arrive alive.
Contact a Beverly Hills Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
Have you lost your loved one in a motorcycle accident? Consult a Beverly Hills motorcycle accident attorney to help you obtain compensation. Contact our office today for a free consultation.